The Purple Press

Filed under News, Opinion, Uncategorized

Late Start Forever?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Late Start Forever?

Are you aware, as a high school student, that the Government can change your daily routine from waking up early to starting school later than you already do?  They can change it completely in a way that you did not know they could.

In a few years, the Government will have a bill pass that will affect your normal routine. A bill is like a new law that we have to follow. This bill will affect students in middle schools and high schools in Californi. It states that the school starting time will begin after 8:30 AM which is later in order for students to get a healthier sleep. Let me walk you through what high school students think about this new bill.

First off,  The California Legislative Information.gov website explains that “This bill would require the school day for both middle schools and high schools, including those who operate as charter schools, to begin no earlier than 8:30 a.m. by July 1, 2021″.  Meaning at the beginning of 2021, all middle and high schools won’t begin earlier than 8:30 a.m. But what do students think of this change?

I selected 5 students to know their opinion about this bill. I talked to these students asking them what they thought about it and there answers varied, some said they liked it, some said they didn’t. The first student I asked was Dalilah Kue and she said: “I wouldn’t like it because I wouldn’t be able to finish any missing assignments and won’t be able to hang out with my friends.” Then, I asked Angel Flores about the bill and he said: “I like that we’re getting more sleep and that we’ll also have more time to get ready, so I think it will be good for students.”  I also interviewed Jesus Juarez and he said: “I’m really happy because I want to sleep and I will be able to have more time to get ready for school”.In contrast, Karla Zapata commented saying “I wouldn’t like it because the school day will end later. I’d rather start earlier and get out earlier because then we would have more daytime and do more after school.” Additionally, Carmen Carranza replied saying “I think that the bill is a good idea because it will give students more time to get ready for school and hopefully affect and change and may decrease tardiness.”

To conclude,  it is important to stay up with the current government changes, policies, and bills. Even though we are not old enough to vote, it is beneficial to educate ourselves with the upcoming changes as they may affect us. It is clear that there are different views and opinions about this future bill, and although there is currently not enough information or exposure to this bill it is still going to happen, so those who like it will be thrilled, but those who don’t can hopefully adjust.

• Late Start Forever?

News

Homecoming Spirit Week

• Late Start Forever?

News

Tech Trending in SHS Campus

The Santiago Online News
Late Start Forever?